U.S. Georgia Republican Senator Chambliss to retire-aide
WASHINGTON Jan 25 (Reuters) - Republican U.S. Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia will not run for a third term in 2014, a congressional aide said on Friday, potentially leaving Congress with one less Republican who was willing to sit down with Democrats on fiscal issues.
Chambliss, who rebelled against anti-tax lobbyist Grover Norquist by saying he was open to raising taxes, was being targeted by conservative Tea Party members in Georgia.
No one had announced a challenge to Chambliss.
Chambliss is a member of the so-called Gang of Eight group of senators, a bipartisan alliance working for deficit reduction.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls