French special forces in action at Gao in Mali: officer
KONNA, Mali (Reuters) - French special forces were in action on Saturday at the Islamist rebel-held stronghold of Gao in northeast Mali, confronting "harassment" from rebel fighters, a French officer in Mali said on Saturday.
"The rebels have melted in to the local population. There is harassment. The operation is still under way. It is a bit complicated," the officer, who asked not to be named, told Reuters. French aircraft were providing air support.
(Reporting Rich Valdmanis and David Lewis; Writing by Pascal Fletcher)
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections