UPDATE 1-Gavin Darby replaces Clarke at Premier Foods
LONDON Jan 28 (Reuters) - Premier Foods PLC, the maker of Hovis bread and Mr Kipling cakes, appointed Gavin Darby as chief executive on Monday, replacing Michael Clarke who steps down after less than 18 months in the role.
Darby, who most recently was chief executive of Cable and Wireless Worldwide, will be tasked with continuing to improve Premier's balance sheet, the group said in a statement.
Clarke sold businesses including Sarson's vinegar and Branston pickle to bring down 1.3 billion pounds ($2 billion) of debt built up before the 2007 banking crisis, and initiated a shake-up at its bread division.
He will step down from the board with immediate effect, Premier said on Monday, and Darby, who engineered the sale of Cable & Wireless Worldwide last year to Vodafone, will take over on Feb. 4.
- Israel rejects ceasefire plan, source says as death toll nears 850 |
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Bad weather seen as probable cause of Air Algerie crash
- White House aide says Republicans might try for Obama impeachment
- EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope |