No doubt over stability of Italy banking system-economy minister
ROME Jan 29 (Reuters) - There is no doubt about the solidity of the Italian banking sector despite a scandal at troubled lender Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena, Italy's economy minister said on Tuesday.
"It is vital not to suggest that there is doubt about the stability of our banking system, because it is not true," Vittorio Grilli told a parliamentary committee. He said oversight of the bank had been adequate.
"The supervision of the Bank of Italy was appropriate, sustained and attentive and it intensified over time," Grilli told the committee.
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks