No doubt over stability of Italy banking system-economy minister
ROME Jan 29 (Reuters) - There is no doubt about the solidity of the Italian banking sector despite a scandal at troubled lender Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena, Italy's economy minister said on Tuesday.
"It is vital not to suggest that there is doubt about the stability of our banking system, because it is not true," Vittorio Grilli told a parliamentary committee. He said oversight of the bank had been adequate.
"The supervision of the Bank of Italy was appropriate, sustained and attentive and it intensified over time," Grilli told the committee.
- French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- North Korea frees U.S. veteran Merrill Newman
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- Cuba drops veto at WTO meet, enabling global trade deal: sources