S.Africa moves to secure coal for Eskom's power plants
CAPE TOWN Jan 30 (Reuters) - South Africa has designated coal as a strategic resource, a move that could limit exports to protect supplies for domestic power plants, mining minister Susan Shabangu said on Wednesday.
"Our intention is to ... ensure there is a balance between security of supply locally but also without losing the global markets," Shabangu told a coal conference in Cape Town. (Reporting by Wendell Roelf; Writing by Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Jon Herskovitz)
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |
- Argentina defaults but investors see eventual deal possible
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’