S.Africa moves to secure coal for Eskom's power plants
CAPE TOWN Jan 30 (Reuters) - South Africa has designated coal as a strategic resource, a move that could limit exports to protect supplies for domestic power plants, mining minister Susan Shabangu said on Wednesday.
"Our intention is to ... ensure there is a balance between security of supply locally but also without losing the global markets," Shabangu told a coal conference in Cape Town. (Reporting by Wendell Roelf; Writing by Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Jon Herskovitz)
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat