CORRECTED-Aetna profit falls as company takes settlement charge
(Corrects year-earlier per-share net income to $1.02 from 97 cents)
Jan 31 (Reuters) - Aetna Inc said on Thursday that fourth-quarter earnings had fallen sharply as it took charges for settling litigation and costs rose in parts of its employer-based insurance business.
Aetna said net income had declined to $190.1 million, or 56 cents per share, from $372.6 million, or $1.02 per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items, the company reported earnings of 94 cents per share.
The health insurer affirmed its outlook for a 2013 profit of at least $5.40 a share. (Reporting by Caroline Humer; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Pfizer considers $100 billion bid for AstraZeneca: report
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry