Dow Chemical reports quarterly loss as demand slumps
Jan 31 (Reuters) - Dow Chemical Co reported a quarterly net loss on Thursday due to large restructuring charges and falling sales of specialty plastics and chlorine.
For the fourth quarter the company posted a net loss of $716 million, or 61 cents per share, compared with a net loss of 20 million, or 2 cents per share, in the year-earlier quarter.
Sales fell 1 percent to $13.92 billion.
Dow Chemical took a $990 million charge in the fourth quarter, part of a plan announced in October to lay off 5 percent of its workforce, close 20 plants and write down the value of its underperforming lithium ion battery business.
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Focus turns to Thai military, anti-government protesters tell them to pick sides
- Google executives' planes saved millions in costs due to error - NASA
- Apple scores legal victory over Samsung in South Korea