EU's Barnier calls for U.S. to respect bank capital rules
BRUSSELS Jan 31 (Reuters) - The United States should implement Basel III bank capital rules in the same way as Europe does, at the beginning of 2014, the European Union's top official in charge of regulation said on Thursday.
"It is essential that the United States and Brasil and Russia apply the same rules that we decided together. It is a condition for world financial stability, not only for the G20, but for global stability," Michel Barnier, the European Commissioner responsible for financial services, told a conference in Brussels.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat