EU's Barnier calls for U.S. to respect bank capital rules
BRUSSELS Jan 31 (Reuters) - The United States should implement Basel III bank capital rules in the same way as Europe does, at the beginning of 2014, the European Union's top official in charge of regulation said on Thursday.
"It is essential that the United States and Brasil and Russia apply the same rules that we decided together. It is a condition for world financial stability, not only for the G20, but for global stability," Michel Barnier, the European Commissioner responsible for financial services, told a conference in Brussels.
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Thai military chief rebuffs meeting request in blow to protesters |