EU's Barnier calls for U.S. to respect bank capital rules
BRUSSELS Jan 31 (Reuters) - The United States should implement Basel III bank capital rules in the same way as Europe does, at the beginning of 2014, the European Union's top official in charge of regulation said on Thursday.
"It is essential that the United States and Brasil and Russia apply the same rules that we decided together. It is a condition for world financial stability, not only for the G20, but for global stability," Michel Barnier, the European Commissioner responsible for financial services, told a conference in Brussels.
- Israel rejects ceasefire plan, source says, as death toll nears 850 |
- Obama tells Central American leaders most children will go home
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope |
- Bad weather seen as probable cause of Air Algerie crash