EU's Barnier calls for U.S. to respect bank capital rules
BRUSSELS Jan 31 (Reuters) - The United States should implement Basel III bank capital rules in the same way as Europe does, at the beginning of 2014, the European Union's top official in charge of regulation said on Thursday.
"It is essential that the United States and Brasil and Russia apply the same rules that we decided together. It is a condition for world financial stability, not only for the G20, but for global stability," Michel Barnier, the European Commissioner responsible for financial services, told a conference in Brussels.
- Target says data from 40 million cards stolen in holiday period
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Special Report: Why Ukraine spurned the EU and embraced Russia
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |