BES considers purchase of Spain's Banco Gallego - sources
LISBON Feb 5 (Reuters) - Banco Espirito Santo, Portugal's second largest listed bank by assets, is considering making an offer to buy Spain's Banco Gallego, two sources said on Tuesday.
A purchase of Banco Gallego would expand BES' branch network in Spain by six times, one of the sources said. BES currently has 25 branches in Spain.
BES would not comment.
Banco Gallego is controlled by NovoCaixaGalicia, which was taken over by the state in 2011 by Spain's bank restructuring fund FROB, and is currently for sale.
(Reporting By Sergio Goncalves, writing by Axel Bugge)
- Search planes scour sea for missing Malaysian jetliner |
- Timeline: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing missing in Asia
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |