Kotak Mahindra Bank buys business loans book of Barclays India
Feb 5 (Reuters) - Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd said on Tuesday it acquired the business loans portfolio of the Indian arm of Barclays Plc.
With this acquisition, Kotak will have 6000 customers with total loans outstanding of about 7 billion rupees ($131.44 million), Kotak said.
In December 2011, Barclays had said it would stop making retail loans as part of its new strategy to focus only on wealth management and corporate and investment banking operations in India.
Foreign banks in India face stiff competition from local rivals such as top lender State Bank of India and No. 2 ICICI Bank Ltd, and have managed to capture only a small share of the country's retail banking business.
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- U.S. House panel votes to authorize lawsuit against Obama
- Lawyers call for outside probe of 'bungled' Arizona execution |