Kotak Mahindra Bank buys business loans book of Barclays India
Feb 5 (Reuters) - Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd said on Tuesday it acquired the business loans portfolio of the Indian arm of Barclays Plc.
With this acquisition, Kotak will have 6000 customers with total loans outstanding of about 7 billion rupees ($131.44 million), Kotak said.
In December 2011, Barclays had said it would stop making retail loans as part of its new strategy to focus only on wealth management and corporate and investment banking operations in India.
Foreign banks in India face stiff competition from local rivals such as top lender State Bank of India and No. 2 ICICI Bank Ltd, and have managed to capture only a small share of the country's retail banking business.
- U.S.'s Kerry expresses regret to India over diplomat case |
- Target stores' customers hit by major credit card attack
- Mega Millions winners in Georgia, California to split $648 million |
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- Fed cuts bond buying in first step away from historic stimulus |