- Survivors pulled from Oklahoma tornado debris as toll lowered |
- Convicted U.S. killer Arias would join tiny death row group
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
- Analysis: Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
UPDATE 1-Top UK court unfreezes Malofeev stake in Rostelecom
* Assets were frozen as part of $330 mln lawsuit by VTB
* Court discharged the freezing order on Malofeev's assets
* Says VTB suit is outside UK jurisdiction
* VTB considering new lawsuits vs Malofeev
MOSCOW, Feb 6 (Reuters) - Britain's Supreme Court has lifted an order freezing shares in Russian telecoms firm Rostelecom held by businessman Konstantin Malofeev, part of a $330 million lawsuit filed by Russian bank VTB, the court and Malofeev's fund said.
The stake had been seized over a case brought by state-owned VTB against Malofeev and his fund Marshall Capital (MarCap) seeking to recover a loan it provided to finance a 2007 deal in which, the bank claimed, MarCap was involved as both buyer and seller.
The court rejected an appeal by VTB's investment banking unit, VTB Capital, against earlier orders, and discharged the freezing order on Malofeev's assets, it said on Wednesday.
It said the VTB suit was outside UK jurisdiction.
"The worldwide freezing order against Mr Malofeev is discharged, because VTB has not been granted permission to serve proceedings on him," the court said on its website.
The ruling came two days after Malofeev's Moscow office was raided by police. In November, the police also raided his house as well as the home of Rostelecom chief executive Alexander Provotorov - MarCap's former head.
VTB said it would continue defending its interests "in all possible jurisdictions" and is currently considering launching new lawsuits against Malofeev.
The VTB loan had been used to finance the acquisition of dairy plants by Russian company Russagroprom from British Virgin Islands-incorporated Nutritek in which MarCap and Malofeev were shareholders. Russagroprom defaulted on the loan and VTB brought proceedings against Nutritek, MarCap and Malofeev.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this