Philippines issues lowest-level tsunami alert, no evacuation
MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales