Russia's Putin sacks official over Olympic delays
MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin dismissed a senior Russian Olympic Committee official on Thursday because of delays in construction work for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Putin had criticized Akhmed Bilalov, the vice president of Russia's Olympic Committee, after he was told of the delays at the ski jumping venue and that costs had risen.
"People who do not fulfill their obligations on such a scale cannot lead the Olympic movement in our country," Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak told reporters in Sochi.
(Reporting by Alexei Anishchuk, Writing by Alissa de Carbonnel, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data