- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- Senate panel passes immigration bill; Obama praises move
A huge tornado tears through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, killing dozens. Slideshow
Magnitude 6.2 aftershock strikes near Solomon Islands: USGS
SYDNEY (Reuters) - An earthquake with a preliminary 6.2 magnitude struck near the Solomon Islands on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, the latest in a series of aftershocks following a major tremor that sparked a tsunami which killed at least five people.
The latest quake was measured 10 km (6 miles) deep, 362 km east southeast of Kira Kira, near the epicentre of the 8.0 magnitude quake that hit on Wednesday.
There was no immediate tsunami warning or word of any further damage in the remote region. Houses were destroyed and an airport damaged by floodwaters in the Lata region on Wednesday after a series of tidal surges.
(Reporting by Lincoln Feast; Editing by John Mair)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this