U.S. snowstorm shuts down Massachusetts nuclear plant
Feb 9 (Reuters) - A nuclear power plant in Massachusetts lost power and automatically shut down late on Friday during a massive blizzard across the northeastern United States, the nuclear regulator said.
The reactor at the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth closed down with no problems and there was no threat to public safety, an official at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said.
"There was no impact on plant workers or the public," he said.
The snowstorm, which continued on Saturday, disrupted thousands of flights and left more than 200,000 people without power in Massachusetts alone.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt |
- Global shares jump, yen slumps as BOJ cranks up stimulus |
- Special Report: Tsunami evacuees caught in $30 billion Japan money trap
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows