Japan MOF's Nakao: markets should determine FX rates
TOKYO Feb 12 (Reuters) - Japan's top financial diplomat, Takehiko Nakao, said on Tuesday that markets should basically determine currency rates and that Japan was appropriately conducting monetary and fiscal policies and a growth strategy to support its own economy.
Nakao was speaking to reporters after the Group of Seven nations reiterated in a statement on Tuesday their commitment to market-determined exchange rates and said fiscal and monetary policies must not be directed at devaluing currencies.
"We will continue to pay close attention to the currency markets," said Nakao, Japan's vice finance minister for international affairs, while declining to comment on specific exchange-rate levels.
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- CIA accused of spying on U.S. Senate intelligence committee