- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- UPDATE 1-Regeneron, Sanofi asthma drug seen as potential game changer
A huge tornado tears through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, killing dozens. Slideshow
Illinois state Senate approves same sex marriage
SPRINGFIELD, Ill |
SPRINGFIELD, Ill (Reuters) - The Illinois state Senate voted on Thursday to legalize gay marriage in President Barack Obama's home state.
If approved by the state House and signed by Democratic Governor Pat Quinn, Illinois would become the 10th state to legalize same sex nuptials and the first Midwest state to do so through legislation.
The vote of 34 to 21 was the latest victory for gay rights advocates after three states approved same sex marriage by referendum in November - Maryland, Maine and Washington state.
(Reporting By Joanne von Alroth in Springfield and Greg McCune in Chicago)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this