"Time has come" to refer Syria war crimes to ICC: Del Ponte
GENEVA (Reuters) - U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and military suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
- Malaysia plane search straddles continent as police focus on crew |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Crimea asks to join Russia after Soviet-style vote |
- Stocks near one-month low as western sanctions on Russia loom |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister