Low interest rates main challenge in 2013 -Allianz CEO
FRANKFURT Feb 21 (Reuters) - Allianz sees the low interest rate environment as the top challenge facing the company this year, its chief executive said on Thursday.
"The main business issue facing us in 2013 will be how to steer Allianz in a low interest rate scenario," Michael Diekmann said in presenting annual results for Europe's biggest insurer.
Central banks slashed interest rates in the wake of the financial crisis, making it hard for insurers to earn income from the government bonds in which they mainly invest and from which they must meet future obligations to policy holders. (Reporting by Jonathan Gould)
- Thousands of Gaza civilians flee after Israeli warning |
- Russia warns Ukraine after shell crosses border |
- Three dead, two wounded in Pasadena, California shootings
- As some high-risk assets take a hit, investors fear worse is to come
- Heavy fighting breaks out near Libya's Tripoli airport, seven dead