French troops fire on suspected Islamists in Mali town of Gao
GAO, Mali (Reuters) - French troops in armored vehicles opened fire on suspected Islamists in the northern Malian town of Gao, a Reuters witness said.
The witness said French troops in at least three armored vehicles were deployed in Gao's Independence Square and fired with heavy machineguns at the mayor's office, where Islamist rebels were holed up.
(Reporting by Joe Penney; Writing by David Lewis; Editing by Pravin Char)
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Winter storm pushes up U.S. East Coast after deep-freeze in the South