U.S. air travelers will feel budget cut effects quickly: union

WASHINGTON Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26pm EST

A traveller walks to his flight at Ronald Reagan National Airport as the sun rises in Washington, September 24, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed

A traveller walks to his flight at Ronald Reagan National Airport as the sun rises in Washington, September 24, 2008.

Credit: Reuters/Jason Reed

Related Topics

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. air travelers will face increased delays and potentially higher prices if cuts to the U.S. Transportation Department's budget go into effect on March 1 as part of planned across-the-board government reductions, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association said on Friday.

"Travelers and users of the National Airspace System, from commercial passengers to businesses of all sizes to the military, will feel the impact of the cuts throughout the spring and summer," the union said in statement.

It followed a White House briefing in which U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood warned of widespread disruption to the U.S. air travel system if the automatic spending cuts take effect.

(Reporting By Doug Palmer; Editing by Vicki Allen)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (26)
HelpAmerica wrote:
Remember a 10% cut leaves 90%

Feb 22, 2013 1:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
oldnassau wrote:
Good: The more people who feel some financial pain, the better the sequestration is doing in paying down the USA’s $14 trillion (that’s $14,000,000,000,000)debt.

Feb 22, 2013 1:56pm EST  --  Report as abuse
demssuck wrote:
The game is to inflict maximum pain and discomfort on the electorate.

Feb 22, 2013 2:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

Pictures