REFILE-Altera says Intel to manufacture future chips
By Noel Randewich
SAN FRANCISCO Feb 25 (Reuters) - Altera announced an agreement with Intel Corp to manufacture Altera's programmable chips on Intel's cutting-edge 14 nanometer technology.
Altera and rival Xilinx together dominate the market for programmable microchips and access to Intel's industry-leading fabs could give it a major advantage.
"Altera gains a tremendous competitive advantage at the high end in that we are the only major (programmable chip) company with access to this technology," Altera said in a press release on Monday.
Shares of Altera were unchanged in extended trading after closing down 0.96 percent at $35.01.
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon |
- Target probe looks overseas, stolen cards offered online
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |