EU banker bonuses to be capped at level of salary -lawmaker
BRUSSELS Feb 28 (Reuters) - Bankers face a cap on bonus payouts at the level of their salary under an agreement reached between EU country representatives and the European Parliament, Othmar Karas, the Austrian lawmaker who helped negotiate the deal, said on Thursday.
"For the first time in the history of EU financial market regulation, we will cap bankers' bonuses," Karas said in a statement, adding that if a bank's shareholders decide, that cap can be raised to double the salary.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls