EU banker bonuses to be capped at level of salary -lawmaker
BRUSSELS Feb 28 (Reuters) - Bankers face a cap on bonus payouts at the level of their salary under an agreement reached between EU country representatives and the European Parliament, Othmar Karas, the Austrian lawmaker who helped negotiate the deal, said on Thursday.
"For the first time in the history of EU financial market regulation, we will cap bankers' bonuses," Karas said in a statement, adding that if a bank's shareholders decide, that cap can be raised to double the salary.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as troops build up rapidly |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane