US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall Street extends gains, Nasdaq up 1 pct
NEW YORK Feb 27 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks extended gains, with the Nasdaq up about 1 percent, as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke repeated his strong support for the Fed's stimulus efforts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 96.77 points, or 0.70 percent, at 13,996.90. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 11.93 points, or 0.80 percent, at 1,508.87. The Nasdaq Composite Index advanced 30.75 points, or 0.98 percent, at 3,160.39.
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- F-16s dispatched for unresponsive pilot of small plane near D.C.
- EU wields Russia sanctions threat but timing vague |
- Polish president warns Germany of Putin's 'empire' ambitions
- Trapped peacekeepers at Golan Heights moved to secure area: Philippine military chief