Osborne applauds sharper RBS focus on UK business
LONDON Feb 28 (Reuters) - Britain's finance minister, George Osborne, said on Thursday he welcomed an announcement by part-nationalised Royal Bank of Scotland to accelerate its strategy of becoming a more UK-focused bank with less investment banking activity.
"I have been very clear that I want to see RBS as a British-based bank, focused on serving British businesses and consumers, with a smaller international investment bank to support that activity rather than to rival it," Osborne said in a statement.
"I welcome RBS's announcement today to accelerate that strategy," he said shortly after the bank announced earnings and said it would reduce further the scale and scope of its markets business.
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Ukraine's leaders say have U.S. backing to take on 'aggressors' |
- Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China as Asia trip begins |
- 'Bridgegate' scandal threatens next World Trade Center tower
- UPDATE 4-Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry