Osborne applauds sharper RBS focus on UK business
LONDON Feb 28 (Reuters) - Britain's finance minister, George Osborne, said on Thursday he welcomed an announcement by part-nationalised Royal Bank of Scotland to accelerate its strategy of becoming a more UK-focused bank with less investment banking activity.
"I have been very clear that I want to see RBS as a British-based bank, focused on serving British businesses and consumers, with a smaller international investment bank to support that activity rather than to rival it," Osborne said in a statement.
"I welcome RBS's announcement today to accelerate that strategy," he said shortly after the bank announced earnings and said it would reduce further the scale and scope of its markets business.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane