Safeway exploring putting Canada property into a REIT-exec
LOS ANGELES, March 6
LOS ANGELES, March 6 (Reuters) - Supermarket operator Safeway Inc is exploring putting its Canadian property assets into a real estate investment trust, an executive said at a meeting with analysts on Wednesday.
Loblaw, Canada's largest grocer, said in December it planned to put the vast majority of its property assets into a real estate investment trust and some investors are lobbying for Safeway to follow suit.
Safeway, with help from advisers, already has determined that its U.S. assets and its Property Development Centers subsidiary are not good candidates for REITs, the executive said at the company's investor meeting.
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Focus turns to Thai military, anti-government protesters tell them to pick sides
- Google executives' planes saved millions in costs due to error - NASA
- Apple scores legal victory over Samsung in South Korea