German public service workers win 5.6 pct pay hike - negotiators
BERLIN, March 9
BERLIN, March 9 (Reuters) - Germany's regional public service workers will receive an above-inflation wage hike of 5.6 percent over two years, negotiators said on Saturday following marathon talks between employers and the Verdi trade union.
Verdi had sought a pay increase of 6.5 percent for the 765,000 workers.
Germany, which holds a federal election in September, is under pressure from other euro zone countries to grant higher wage increases to stimulate demand from Europe's largest economy for imports from the bloc's troubled debtor countries.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls