Lawsuit says two-year-old boy ate used condom at Chicago McDonald's

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14am EDT

McDonald's corporate headquarters is pictured in Oakbrook, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, April 19, 2004. REUTERS/John Gress

McDonald's corporate headquarters is pictured in Oakbrook, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, April 19, 2004.

Credit: Reuters/John Gress

Related Topics

(Reuters) - McDonald's Corp has been sued by a woman who said her two-year-old son ate a used condom he found in the play area of one of its restaurants in Chicago.

Anishi Spencer filed the complaint against the fast-food restaurant chain on Wednesday in Cook County Circuit Court on behalf of herself and her sons, Jonathan Hines and Jacquel Hines.

According to the complaint, Spencer and her sons were at a McDonald's restaurant in Chicago's South Side on February 4, 2012 when Jacquel picked up the used condom from the floor, and shortly thereafter coughed up a piece of it.

Both boys required medical care, and have suffered lasting injuries, pain and discomfort, the complaint said.

Spencer accused McDonald's of negligence for failing to clean hazardous debris from the play area, and failing to use appropriate security measures to help uncover "deviant activities." The lawsuit seeks at least $50,000 of damages.

"This is a very disgusting case," Jeffrey Deutschman, a lawyer for Spencer and her sons at Deutschman & Associates in Chicago, said in a phone interview.

He said he tried to settle, but was unable to do so after having to deal with "layers and layers" of bureaucracy at McDonald's, which is based in Oak Brook, Illinois.

McDonald's spokeswomen did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jonathan is now 4 and Jacquel is now 3.

The case is Hines et al v. McDonald's Restaurants of Illinois Inc et al, Cook County Circuit Court, No. 2013L002625.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (4)
GeoffWard wrote:
‘Spencer and her sons were at .. when Jacquel picked up the used condom from the floor, and shortly thereafter coughed up a piece of it.
Both boys required medical care, and have suffered lasting injuries ..’

So ONE coughed up a piece of condom (allegedly), but BOTH ‘required medical care and have suffered lasting injuries ..’

Seems like somebody might be seeking some giant compensation for something totally unlikely.
(And No, I’m not being paid by the corporation to say this)

Mar 15, 2013 8:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ljacoby714 wrote:
My first thought was how does she know the condom was used? My second thought—if your child goes to McDonald’s and is eating random rubber items he finds on the floor, you’ve got a much more complicated problem than McDonald’s not sweeping enough.

Mar 15, 2013 1:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
LouKYGuy wrote:
Who lets a 2-year run around unsupervised and eat random stuff? Even if the incident occurred as described, the person that seems most negligent is the parent.

Mar 15, 2013 2:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.