Colombia cenbank has space to cut rate, must be careful-codirector
BOGOTA, March 15
BOGOTA, March 15 (Reuters) - Colombia's central bank has room to lower its benchmark interest rate but it must also be careful and consider other factors, said one of the seven board members, Cesar Vallejo.
"There's space in the sense that there's lower inflation, output growth is below its potential. In that sense there's space but there are also other factors, for example, people's indebtedness, government plans for public investment," he said.
"One must be careful when lowering interest rates because any circumstance can change the scenario," he told journalists on Friday.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with more easing steps
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt