Nikkei hits new 4-1/2-year high, logs 4th weekly gain
TOKYO, March 15 (Reuters) - The Nikkei share average closed at a fresh 4-1/2-year high on Friday on growing expectations the central bank will ease monetary policy aggressively under its new leadership. The Nikkei advanced 1.5 percent to 12,560.95, the highest level since early September 2008. For the week, the index gained 2.3 percent, logging the fourth straight weekly gain. The broader TOPIX gained 1.3 percent to 1051.65 in moderate trade.
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school: Health Ministry |
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- U.S. jobless claims lowest since early 2006; new home sales tumble