Nikkei hits new 4-1/2-year high, logs 4th weekly gain
TOKYO, March 15 (Reuters) - The Nikkei share average closed at a fresh 4-1/2-year high on Friday on growing expectations the central bank will ease monetary policy aggressively under its new leadership. The Nikkei advanced 1.5 percent to 12,560.95, the highest level since early September 2008. For the week, the index gained 2.3 percent, logging the fourth straight weekly gain. The broader TOPIX gained 1.3 percent to 1051.65 in moderate trade.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane