Cyprus to apply staggered levy on deposits, tax deposit interest - source
BRUSSELS, March 16
BRUSSELS, March 16 (Reuters) - International lenders and Cyprus have agreed a one-off levy of 9.9 percent to apply to deposits in Cypriot banks above 100,000 euros and of 6.7 percent for deposits below 100,000 euros, a senior euro zone source said early on Saturday.
They had also agreed to tax the interest on deposits in Cypriot banks, the source involved in the negotiations added.
The tax measures are to boost Cypriot revenues to diminish the size of the necessary emergency borrowing from the euro zone and keep public debt at a level that will be possible to service.
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- 'Everything is fine', Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend |