Body of South Dakota teen who died trying to save brother found
(Reuters) - The body of a South Dakota teenager who drowned when she jumped into an icy river to save her 6-year-old brother has been recovered, an emergency official told Reuters on Saturday.
Recovery crews pulled 16-year-old Madison Leigh Wallace's body from the Big Sioux River late on Friday, Michael Koopman with Sioux Falls Fire Rescue said .
Investigators believe the girl jumped into the river when her younger brother, Garrett Martin Wallace, fell into the water on Thursday night.
The 6-year-old boy was able to get out and was not injured, Koopman said.
Authorities are still searching for the body of Lyle Francis Eagletail, 28, a passerby who jumped into the river to try to help the drowning teen and was apparently swept away with her, Koopman said.
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- U.S. House panel votes to authorize lawsuit against Obama
- Lawyers call for outside probe of 'bungled' Arizona execution |