Situation in Cyprus, its banking sector "unique" -ECB's Asmussen
BERLIN, March 18
BERLIN, March 18 (Reuters) - The situation of Cyprus and the country's banking sector is unique, European Central Bank board member Joerg Asmussen said on Monday, responding to fears that depositors in other countries could also be asked to take a hit.
"I do believe that the situation of Cyprus and the Cypriot banking sector is indeed unique," Asmussen told a panel discussion.
The euro zone struck a deal on Saturday to hand Cyprus a bailout worth 10 billion euros but demanded depositors in its banks forfeit some money to stave off bankruptcy despite the risk of a wider bank run.
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plow |
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through five airports
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols