Situation in Cyprus, its banking sector "unique" -ECB's Asmussen
BERLIN, March 18
BERLIN, March 18 (Reuters) - The situation of Cyprus and the country's banking sector is unique, European Central Bank board member Joerg Asmussen said on Monday, responding to fears that depositors in other countries could also be asked to take a hit.
"I do believe that the situation of Cyprus and the Cypriot banking sector is indeed unique," Asmussen told a panel discussion.
The euro zone struck a deal on Saturday to hand Cyprus a bailout worth 10 billion euros but demanded depositors in its banks forfeit some money to stave off bankruptcy despite the risk of a wider bank run.
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- South Africans, some fearful, wake to life without Mandela |
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image