Banks in Cyprus to stay closed Thursday and Friday: official
NICOSIA (Reuters) - Banks in Cyprus will remain closed on Thursday and Friday, a government official said, as the euro zone country tries to avoid a financial meltdown having rejected the terms of a European Union bailout.
With Monday a public holiday, the move effectively closes lenders until Tuesday, March 26. The official spoke on condition of anonymity.
(Writing by Matt Robinson; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
- Thai military heads agree to meet protest leader at weekend |
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994