Cypriot cbank says to keep 2nd largest lender in business
NICOSIA, March 21
NICOSIA, March 21 (Reuters) - Cyprus will take measures to consolidate its banking sector, including steps to avoid bankruptcy at its second largest lender, Cyprus Popular Bank , Central Bank governor Panicos Demetriades said on Thursday.
"By establishing this legal framework, resolution measures will be imposed on Popular Bank so that it will be in a position to continue to offer banking services to its clients next Tuesday," when banks are due to reopen, he told reporters.
Demetriades did not elaborate, but said the steps would protect deposits of up to 100,000 euros.
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Gaza toll nears 100, militants threaten Israeli airport |
- Haskell collapses in Texas court as details of Texas murder read
- Obama tells Israel U.S. ready to help end hostilities
- Apple iPhone a danger to China national security: state media