Cypriot pension fund nationalisation unacceptable-Merkel quoted
BERLIN, March 22
BERLIN, March 22 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel told lawmakers on Friday the nationalisation of pension funds in Cyprus would not be an acceptable way of plugging a hole in its finances to qualify for an international bailout, parliamentary sources said.
Merkel was also quoted by two MPs from her centre-right coalition as saying that debt sustainability and the restructuring of its banks must be core elements of any new Cyprus deal, which she called an matter of "credibility".
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |
- UK says will pay off part of World War One-era debt next year
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Branson to meet Virgin Galactic space team after crash |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California