Injured Jones to miss U.S. game with Mexico
March 24 - U.S. midfielder Jermaine Jones will miss Tuesday's game with Mexico at the Azteca Stadium due to a left ankle sprain, a team spokesman said on Sunday.
Jones suffered the injury in Friday's 1-0 win over Costa Rica in Denver.
The German-born player was an immense presence in midfield in the snow-plagued game, setting the tone with his hard running and tackling.
Maurice Edu is the most likely replacement for Jones.
The United States, who have three points from two games, have never beat Mexico at the Azteca in a qualifier.
(Reporting by Simon Evans in Mexico City, editing by Gene Cherry)
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks