Fitch places Cyprus on rating watch negative
NEW YORK, March 26
NEW YORK, March 26 (Reuters) - Fitch on Tuesday put Cyprus on rating watch negative, saying the shock from the country's banking system could damage the domestic economy and thus public finances.
The agency currently rates Cyprus B, a speculative rating.
A painful European rescue plan for the island member of the euro zone has roiled financial markets this week, with large bank depositors penalized as part of the program.
"Fitch will seek to resolve the RWN once further key details of the programme have been agreed and made public," the rating agency said in a statement.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as troops build up rapidly |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Police make third arrest in murder of Colorado socialite