Berdych to miss Czech Davis Cup quarter-final
PRAGUE (Reuters) - World number six Tomas Berdych will miss Czech Republic's Davis Cup quarter-final next week when the champions take on Kazakhstan.
Berdych dropped out after losing Thursday's Sony Open quarter-final against Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-3 6-3 in Miami.
"Last night's match was the last straw for me," he told the Czech Davis Cup Facebook page.
"I woke up this morning and my shoulder hurt so much that it was clear I would not be able to play in Kazakhstan."
The Czech team will now be Radek Stepanek, Lukas Rosol, Jan Hajek and Ivo Minar.
(Reporting by Jan Lopatka, editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base: social media
- WHO shuts Sierra Leone lab after worker infected with Ebola
- Talks optimism fades as Ukraine says Russia makes new incursion |
- Gaza truce holding but Israel's Netanyahu under fire at home |
- 'Men in green' raise suspicions of east Ukrainian villagers