Novartis India will continue to file for patents - exec
MUMBAI, April 1
MUMBAI, April 1 (Reuters) - Novartis India Ltd, a unit of Swiss drugmaker Novartis AG, will continue to file for patents in India, its vice chairman said on Monday, after the country's top court rejected its plea for patent protection of its drug Glivec.
Novartis India will also continue to invest there, but with caution, Ranjit Shahani, who is also the managing director of the company, told reporters after the Supreme Court judgment.
Earlier on Monday, the court dismissed Novartis' petition seeking patent protection for cancer drug Glivec, a serious blow to Western pharmaceutical firms who are increasingly focusing on India to drive sales.
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study