Malaysia's stock index falls sharply ahead of election announcement
KUALA LUMPUR, April 3
KUALA LUMPUR, April 3 (Reuters) - Malaysia's main stock index fell as low as 3.4 percent ahead of a televised announcement by Prime Minister Najib Razak at 11.30 a.m (0330 GMT) on Wednesday, when he is expected to dissolve parliament and call a general election.
National carrier Malaysian Airline System Bhd fell as much as 6.3 percent to 0.72 ringgit, while palm oil firm Felda Global Ventures Bhd sunk 8 percent to a two-month low of 4.35 ringgit.
By 10:38 a.m, the main index had recovered ground to trade 1.97 percent lower at 1,651.81.
- U.S. air strikes on Syria would face formidable obstacles
- Samsung unveils smartwatch that can make calls
- Russian-backed separatists enter southeast Ukraine town
- FBI, Secret Service investigate reports of cyber attacks on U.S. banks
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |