Britain has lost "a great leader" in Thatcher: PM Cameron
LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday it was with great sadness he had learnt of the death of Margaret Thatcher, his predecessor as Conservative leader and prime minister who ruled from 1979 to 1990.
"We have lost a great leader, a great prime minister and a great Briton," Cameron said in a statement shortly after a spokesman for the Thatcher family said the former prime minister had died peacefully following a stroke.
Queen Elizabeth also expressed sadness and said she would be sending a private message of sympathy to the family.
(Reporting By Estelle Shirbon; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- NSA gathers data on cellphone locations globally: report
- The 10 Most Corrupt and Least Corrupt Countries in the World
- Dementia epidemic looms with 135 million sufferers seen by 2050
- China's airspace zone has caused apprehension: Biden |