EU believes risk of war in Korea is "limited:" EU official
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union believes there is a "limited risk" of war in Korea, in spite of a ratcheting up of tensions on the peninsula, an EU official said on Tuesday.
"We recognize the situation as being tense and potentially volatile. But our assessment is that there is a "limited risk"...of an armed conflict," the official briefing reporters on condition of anonymity said.
"We haven't seen conspicuous preparations in the North for an attack, and the situation on the ground in Pyongyang looks calm."
(Reporting By Adrian Croft, Editing By Ethan Bilby)
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Vote delayed on loan guarantee for World Trade Center developer
- Obama seeks to ease Asian allies' doubts during visit to Japan |
- NYPD Twitter campaign backfires, thousands of negative tweets