American Express first-quarter profit up 2 percent
April 17 (Reuters) - Credit card company American Express Co's first-quarter profit rose 2 percent as card member spending remained muted amid increased corporate cutbacks.
American Express profit rose to $1.28 billion, or $1.15 per share, for the quarter ended March 31, from $1.26 billion, or $1.07 per share, a year earlier.
Total revenue, net of interest expense, rose 4 percent to $7.88 billion.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Investigators look overseas for hackers in Target case: source
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter