Schaeuble says Cyprus bailout averts contagion
BERLIN, April 18
BERLIN, April 18 (Reuters) - There would be a high risk of contagion to other euro zone countries if Cyprus was allowed to go bankrupt, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble said in a speech to parliament on Thursday before a vote to approve a bailout for the Mediterranean island nation.
Schaeuble also said that while uncertainty linked to the euro crisis was still weighing on markets, it had diminished considerably over the past months.
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza refugee camp |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |
- U.S. Senate bill proposes sweeping curbs on NSA surveillance
- Obama says strains over Ukraine not leading to new Cold War with Russia
- Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine