Messi back in training for Barcelona
MADRID (Reuters) - Barcelona forward Lionel Messi was back on the training pitch on Thursday as he bids to rid himself of a hamstring injury before Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg at Bayern Munich.
"The big novelty of this Thursday's training session was Leo Messi," Barca said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
The Argentine World Player of the Year damaged the muscle during Barca's quarter-final first leg at Paris St Germain on April 2.
He sat out their 5-0 La Liga victory at home to Real Mallorca four days later but came on for the final half an hour at the Nou Camp last Wednesday to help a nervous Barca squeeze past PSG into the last four on away goals.
Midfielder Sergio Busquets, who has a minor groin problem, completed some work with the rest of his team mates on Thursday after missing Wednesday's session, Barca said.
The La Liga leaders are chasing a third European crown in five years and play their semi-final second leg at home to German champions Bayern on May 1.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Mark Meadows)
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plow |
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dead at 82 |
- U.S. Congress examining deal between NSA official, ex-agency chief