US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Nasdaq gains 1 pct; Microsoft leads
NEW YORK, April 22
NEW YORK, April 22 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks extended gains and the Nasdaq rose more than 1 percent on Monday, with shares of Microsoft boosting both the Nasdaq and the S&P 500.
Microsoft gained 4.1 percent to $30.99 after CNBC reported that ValueAct Capital had taken a $2 billion stake in the company.
The Dow Jones industrial average was up 29.33 points, or 0.20 percent, at 14,576.84. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was up 9.11 points, or 0.59 percent, at 1,564.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 31.44 points, or 0.98 percent, at 3,237.50.
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- U.S. aid workers who survived Ebola leave Atlanta hospital |
- National Guard to withdraw from riot-torn Ferguson, Missouri |