French tax probe targets HSBC -prosecutor
PARIS/LONDON, April 23
PARIS/LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - France has opened a probe into whether British bank HSBC offered illicit products to help French clients avoid tax in Switzerland, the prosecutor's office said on Tuesday.
The investigation is based on a list of French clients at HSBC's Swiss unit obtained in 2009, the prosecutor's office said.
A spokeswoman for HSBC declined to comment.
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plow |
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through five airports
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols